- About Us
- Bible References
- Practical Stuff
- Contact Us
Over the past few years I have gleaned various points of great pieces of advice from various people. I would like to share some of the most important pieces of what I can remember with you. There are also some great pieces of advice on the websites on the "Links" page. If you have anything to add to this, please let me know.
1. Ray Comfort - “Bible BEFORE breakfast. Read BEFORE feed. Bible BEFORE belly.” I also heard - “This Book will keep you from sin but sin will keep you from this book”. Ray Comfort – “Read your Bible daily and obey what you read”. If you follow these golden rules, it will improve your spiritual life unbelievably.
2. Once I told a friend that I was visiting Christian chat rooms and he told me that I should not go in them until I had read the Bible from cover to cover. It sounded like good advice, so I did it. Actually by the time I had done it once, the fad of wanting to visit Christian chat rooms had passed. In no time at all I had read the Bible three times through from cover to cover. I told that particular friend that I had read the Bible three times through from cover to cover. He was surprised and told me that he had never read the Bible from cover to cover!!! I reminded him that HE was the one who had given me that piece of advice. What amazed me even more what that he had forgotten that he was the one who had given me the advice!!! I am sorry that he did not follow up on his own advice. However, it was the one of the best pieces of advice that I had been given.
3. Another piece of advice that I was given was that I should spend at least (bare minimum) one (1) hour divided into half an hour in prayer and half an hour in reading the Bible every morning before I did anything else. If you want to GROW in spiritual maturity, then you need to spend TIME with God in prayer and reading His Word EVERY day!!! How can you have a relationship with someone if you do not spend quality time with him or her? This also has been one of the best pieces of advice that I have been given.
4. If you have a problem getting up in the morning called “battle of the blanket” as Ray Comfort says, then take your blanket to the floor with you. If you think that you will fall asleep by taking it to the floor, jog up and down on the spot with it around your shoulders until you feel awake enough to pray or read without falling asleep. Ray Comfort also had another good piece of advice for those of us who find it really hard to get up in the morning, he said to be disciplined and “GO TO BED EARLY”.
Do you know what really motivated me? I found it really hard to get out of bed in the morning. Then when I was speaking with a girl from work I found out that she gets out of bed at 4:00am to go jogging. She is very disciplined about this. She is in her 30’s and is NEVER going to be a top class athlete, but she is disciplined about going jogging and the hour is no objection. I found this amazing because unless you are going to be a top class athlete then I see no point in getting up this early to train. I mean, this girl is REALLY dedicated!!! Personally I used to find the hour objectionable, but how can I possibly be less than what this girl is to her sport for my Holy, Loving, Gracious, Merciful Father in Heaven? We are in training for the biggest event in the world – the return of Jesus Christ!!!
It reminded me about the verses in 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. Therefore I run thus; not with uncertainty. That I fight: not as one who beats the air. But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.” Also 2 Timothy 2:3-5, “You therefore must endure hardship as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he completes according to the rules.
5. Something I was reminded of by a retired minister, Clive Way, which I already knew, but it is fantastic advice. We should follow the way of our Lord and Master in the way of prayer. If you look at the Lord’s Prayer you will see that at least the first half is PRAISE and WORSHIP to of Almighty God. Then it looks at our NEEDS and the NEEDS OF OTHERS. It is a good model to follow when we pray to our Lord God. We should praise and worship Him before bringing our needs and the needs of others before Him.
6. I heard this in a sermon once.....
HARD CORE -
Hunger - for the Word of God
Accountability - to God/Holy Spirit
Repentance - live in an attitude of repentance
Discipline - be disciplined to pray and read the Word
Character - If you say you are going to do something - do it!!!
Obedience - Obey God's Word
Revival - pray for revival (although I would also like to add "reap" - to pray that God would send out workers into his harvest field to "reap" because the harvest is ripe!!!)
Evangelism - Witness
May I encourage you to give your all for Almighty God. The time that we have on this earth is fleeting and you never know when God will require your life!!!
May the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bless you and keep you in Jesus name.
Save Yourself Some Pain is a great tool for Christians